Mark's Mind

Thursday, June 29, 2006

"Rats in the cellar!"

So I have started into a "new" devotional over the past few days. I have to admit I am terrible at the regular devotional times. I find I neglect to take the set aside time to read something written by someone else to inspire me. I thought with summer coming and some more time on my hands and the opprotunity to start a new "habit" I would attempt to discipline myself and do some daily devotions and Bible reading, I guess those could be the same thing.
So I have choosen to use the book of Romans to read through and have already had some "AHHAAH!" type momnets but also have had to mark my Bible with a number of question marks. I have also choosen to use "A Year with C. S. Lewis" as a devotional guide. Wow, he is good and today I read June 29, I guess I should have, and was made to think of my own life.
So the title is Rats in the cellar. It talks about how everyone has some sort of things they hide in their lives. The devotional talks about the character of a person revieled in suprise situations. He compared it to rats in the cellar, you know they are there and if you run down the steps and make a big noise they will be gone when you get there but you sneak up on them and surprise them they are revealed to you and you see them.
This made me evaluate what kind of character traits and "rats" I reveal when I am put into surprise situations? Do I reflect a Christlike character or one that has a whole bunch of "rats" I am trying to deal with?
I know I need work with my patience and the speed at which I choose to judge others and a variety of other flaws so unless you desperately neeed to post some more "rats" about me please refrain. This post is to encourage us to evaluate the character we portray to others, I think, but sort of just to help us think about something. Mostly to put what I was thinking down on "paper".

peace out
md

2 Comments:

  • I was thinking about some of the same things today actually.
    I find it hard to disconnect myself emotionally from stressful situations and I say things that I regret saying. It's hard to stay in control when you are jacked up emotionally - you encounter stress and then whammo you've lost control. Maybe that's kinda like those surprize situations you are talking about. great post - good challenge...

    By Blogger Increasing..., at 9:24 PM  

  • If you had come into my garage yesterday when I was building a gate, you would have heard my loud &#?@'ing rats. I don't know why they make phillips screws that always strip. I guess I should work on that.

    By Blogger Balmy Eva, at 11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home